NL Seniors Impacted by Canada Revenue

Party Phone Number

(709) 753-6043


Party Email Address

Wednesday, August 16, 2017

August 16, 2017


For Immediate Release




NL Seniors Impacted by Canada Revenue Agency Processing Delay




Tracey Perry, Official Opposition Critic for Children, Seniors and Social Development, said, “Many Newfoundlanders and Labradorians - including many seniors - are not receiving their federal benefits payments because of processing delays at the Canada Revenue Agency. These delays are affecting the Newfoundland and Labrador Seniors’ Benefit, the Guaranteed Income Supplement, the GST Credit and the Child Tax Benefit.”




“The Official Opposition has made inquiries on behalf of our constituents and has been advised that delays are due, in part, to the relocation of certain CRA offices from Newfoundland and Labrador to Ontario. Also, when individuals submitted their income taxes using the return envelopes obtained at various Canada Post outlets, the envelopes were sent to the former St. John’s office instead of the new office in Ontario. If an individual’s income tax has not been processed, CRA cannot send them their benefits.”




“Some individuals – through no fault of their own – are left wondering why they have not received benefits and what has caused the delay. While benefit processing issues are not a new occurrence for the federal government, many of the individuals who avail of these benefits are on fixed incomes and very much depend on the extra assistance they receive from these programs.”


“To date, there has been no public statement or clarification from either the Canada Revenue Agency or the seven Liberal Members of Parliament who represent the people of Newfoundland and Labrador. It is not known how many people are impacted by these delays and for how long they will have to wait to receive their benefits.”




Perry advises individuals to contact CRA if they do not receive their benefits payments. The number is 1-800-387-1193. To report estimated income and restart GIS payments, call Service Canada at 1-800-277-9914. They can also check the status of their return online at by looking for the Canada Revenue Agency link and accessing “My Account”.






© 2021 - PC Party Newfoundland and Labrador